Céad míle fáilte! welcome to the Thread Softly Festival of Stitch. The first Thread Softly festival will take place on the last weekend of September in Mountmellick, Co Laois, Ireland. Thread Softly is a celebration of traditional and contemporary stitch in the home of Ireland’s only true authentic embroidery lace.
Thread Softly festival of stitch will celebrate the legacy of the Quakers and Mountmellick Embroidery Lace on international lace day, the 28th and 29th September 2019. Mountmellick is the only true authentic lace of Ireland.
Thread Softly is not just a festival of stitch, we wish to revive the heritage and stories associated with lace and stitch in Ireland, the old and the new. We appreciate how lace and embroidery has changed with the times, influencing today’s textile art and used in combination with other stitching. We also wish to celebrate these changing creative developments of traditional stitch.
Thread Softly is a fusion of heritage discovery and skilful traditional and contemporary stitch. Participants will experience a packed 2 day programme of hands on masterclasses, be inspired by tours of local heritage sites and areas associated with Quaker Heritage. Thread Softly is open to anyone interested in traditional and contemporary stitch and textile art, no experience necessary.
What you can expect:
- Classes will be quite small and bespoke.
- All masterclasses with all tutor fees & materials included on both days.
- Tea, coffee, biscuits in the mornings & lunches.
- Guided tours with local guides of heritage sites and the heritage of stitch through the Quakers and their influence on Mountmellick and Ireland.
- 2 optional mini classes in bookbinding (a stitch in time – make your journal) & screen print a tote bag.
- Share knowledge and expertise with your fellow stitchers.
- Make great friends here in Laois and all round the world who can come back again and again.
- Make a piece of art
- Take part in end of Festival exhibition
- Suitable for all levels
For a list of local hotels or to book contact Trudy or Angelina on +353 87 7923367 firstname.lastname@example.org
Day 1 of Thread Softly
- 3 hour hands on masterclass in Mountmellick work (all materials included)
- Lunch downstairs at The Hare’s Corner
- A stitch in time – 1-1.5 hour mini workshop in book binding, stitch your own journal or notebook
- Guided walking tour of Mountmellick
Day finishes at approximately 5:30pm
Day 2 of Thread Softly
- 3 hour hands on masterclass in Mountmellick Embroidery (all materials included)
- Afternoon in Balllintubbert House, Co Laois
Includes: Pull your own Thread Softly screen print on an eco tote bag,
Guided tour of Ballintubbert Gardens
For those who are not able to attend the 2 day festival we have made Saturday morning’s masterclass and Sunday afternoon at Ballintubbert available.
Saturday morning will include a three hour masterclass including refreshments, followed by lunch in The Hare’s Corner.
Sunday afternoon, meet us at Ballintubbert House & Gardens.
Includes: Pull your own Thread Softly screen print on an eco tote bag, lunch and a guided tour of Ballintubbert Gardens.
You do not need to be an expert to take part, the class is small and will cater for all levels. All materials are included just bring your self and maybe a notebook for ideas.
Date: Saturday 28th September 2019
Time: 9:00am – 2:00pm
Cost: €65 per person
Venue: Mountmellick Museum
Payment can be made through following channels:
Email us your details and we can invoice you and issue a receipt.
Contact us directly and pay directly by calling +353 (0) 87 7923367
Phone the Dunamase Arts Centre +353 (0) 57 866 3355 or on their website https://dunamaise.ticketsolve.com/shows/873608299
Pay through Eventbite booking website:
Full Festival tickets
Mountmellick morning workshop